Current:Home > NewsBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -TruePath Finance
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 11:22:43
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- We went to more than 20 New York Fashion Week shows, events: Recapping NYFW 2024
- Beyoncé explains why she 'cut all my hair off' in 2013: 'I became super brave'
- 'Sounded like a bomb': Ann Arbor house explosion injures 1, blast plume seen for miles
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- ¡Ay, Caramba! Here’s the Ultimate Simpsons Gift Guide
- Take a Look at the Original Brat Pack Then and Now, Nearly 40 Years After The Breakfast Club
- What does 'oomf' mean? Add the indirect term to your digital vocab.
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- NCAA men's basketball tournament top 16 reveal: Purdue, UConn, Houston and Arizona lead
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Trump $354 million fraud verdict includes New York business ban for 3 years. Here's what to know.
- The first Black 'Peanuts' character finally gets his origin story in animated special
- A man in Compton was mauled to death by 1 or more of his Pitbulls
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Presidents Day deals include sandwich, food and drink specials
- Colorado university mourns loss of two people found fatally shot in dorm; investigation ongoing
- Oscar-nommed doc: A 13-year-old and her dad demand justice after she is raped
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Ex-YouTube CEO’s son dies at UC Berkeley campus, according to officials, relative
Here's how long a migraine typically lasts – and why some are worse than others
Bobbi Althoff Makes Her First Red Carpet Appearance Since Divorce at 2024 People's Choice
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Zimbabwe’s vice president says the government will block a scholarship for LGBTQ+ people
Stock market today: Asian shares are mostly higher as Chinese markets reopen after Lunar New Year
Biden blames Putin for Alexey Navalny's reported death in Russian prison